martes, 10 de marzo de 2015

You don't have to wait more. The star is here!

Hi! I'm Anthea, the STAR! This week, we have taken part on an "Art gallery" with other eight groups, so I have not had to explain anything about the exposition, but I had to answer questions if someone asked me.


The explanation of the comic, which has been created on the webpage: www.toondoo.com, is the following:

In the first vignette, you can see how children from different cultures express their opinions about texbooks. Depeding on the place, books have some contents or others. For foreign children it is a confusing situation, because they know what their parents tell them, but their books say something completely different.

In the second one, teachers don't always teach as the book does, and children ask them why they don't say the same. It's difficult to explain a child that there are more than one way to do some things. What's more, teachers must have resources to know how to explain contents in different ways, so that children understand well what they have to learn.

In the third vignette, you can see a Moroccan family in which the child tells his parents that his religion textbook says that the Christian God is the only one. This is wrong, because each culture has its God or Gods, so why don't teachers say that there are some religions and, depending on that, God changes? What happens with the Moroccan child? What is he going to think? These inflexible textbooks confuse children, they are making narrow-minded children.

After having problems at home and school, the discussion is going beyond, now it's not only at school and home, it's going further, it's in the newspaper and, as people read the news, they become more aware of the problem caused by editors, the exclusive use of textbooks, and the necesity of change.

In the fifth one, people is getting nervous, and they decide going on strike. Now, people want a better education, they demand new ways for teaching, new and better ideas. They want to finish with the monopoly of traditional books, and start from the beginning by using new technologies and being open-minded.

Finally, people are at the court. There is a conflict between two groups: citizens and editors, because citizens demand changes in textbooks and the use of other instruments to work in class. It means, there are more ways to teach and textbooks don't always say the truth.
Editors are just interested on earning money, they don't care about book's contents or what they say, they only want money, even if it supposes lead children to wrong ideas.


Being the star has been a good experience. I thought I would be more nervous than I actually was, so I could reply questions without getting crazy.

This kind of exposition has positive aspects, as well as negative ones because if I had had to explain it, I would have known what I had to say, but, in this case, I was exposed to everything, I did not know what I had to say until the moment people asked me. This is the reason why I was more worried about.
To conclude, I want to say that, apart from what I have mentioned above, I have liked being the star and I would not mind having this role twice. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario